Sunday, July 24, 2005

ThE yEaR!

Everything seems to be in place. This year seems to be the year.

Who can deliver for the Honolulu blue and silver this year? Can Joey be this year's Drew Brees? I sure the heck hope so. This playoff withdrawal is taking it's toll on Detroit fans, it needs to end. The Detroit Lions need to produce, now.

The talent is in place for sure. New offensive editions Marcus Pollard, Mike Williams, Kevin Johnson and Rick Demulling should be just what the doc ordered. This gives the Lions 4 "solid" receivers to work with and a proven tight end. Streets and Hakim were a joke last year. I 'm not laughing either.

The running back position has some depth with Bryson and Pinner/Jamel White backing up Kevin Jones. Jones is a stud and if the o- line plays like it's capable of playing, Jones could be a pro-bowler for sure.

I'm hoping Jeff Garcia will stay as the backup and nothing more. I really believe Joey will come through and "get it". However, if Jeff is called upon because of Joey's poor play, I think Jeff will be sound in his decision making and really help us out. What!?, he does have 3 pro-bowls under his belt.

The special teams was a little down last year if your name wasn't Eddie Drummond or Jason Hanson. I don't have much to say or report.

I don't know much about predicting whether a defense will be any good, but I'm going to try. For one thing, the secondary will be much more physical and will have depth like it has never had. This Terrence Holt should have a breakout year, he just needs to be given more of a chance.
The D-line is alright, I think. I thought they underachieved last year, but Cody should help them out with his speed, maybe shifty Swancutt too.
As for the linebackers, it all starts with Boss. If he's healthy, they got a chance to be something. Lehman, Dirty Davis and those other fillers need to take his lead if they want to form a good unit. As a whole, the D looks to be better, but it's the Lions we're talking about. Maybe a 10-6 record in the weak NFC north will be good enough to take the division outright. I can dream can't I?

2 comments:

Mad Mike said...

Thats one of the most optimistic views of the Lions I have ever read. I like it!!

Anonymous said...

I see the lions making a run this year. If they have a losing record this year, Both Harrington and marriuchi will be gone from Detroit. There defense should be solid and Ty law might join them. Without Law the Lions look good on paper. If injuries are kept low, there will be sucess.


good writing. It really convinced me as a Charger fan, that the Lions will contend for the NFC crown in 2005