Thursday, July 21, 2005

The state of the league

edited to appease the critics
This year's off season activities stand out from the past off seasons in the NFL to me. The players seem to be acting only on self-interest. Players are demanding new contracts or trades. The word "team" no longer has meaning.

What does team mean though? According to dictionary.com

A group on the same side, as in a game; a group organized to work together.

Real teams are not as often put in the public eye. Instead we see sports organizations dominated by a super star with an ego bigger than the team'’s goals of a championship.

In the case of the Detroit Pistons, now former coach Larry Brown was the ego. Throughout the playoffs, there was no talk of team, there was talk of: Is Brown going to go to the Cavs? The Pistons were a team otherwise. No clear super star, a team driven by defense and everyone chipping in on offense. Well maybe everyone except ol' Darko Milicic.

Regardless when a team comes so close to repeating as NBA champions, there should be focus on: How the team plays as a unit.

The other end of my rant, Terrell Owens. He signed a $49 million contract prior to last season with the Eagles. This was after he refused to play for the Ravens, whom he was traded to.

He is paid plenty. He'’s a great receiver no doubt about it. There was proof of this in his super bowl performance.

But even if your agent is Drew Rosenhaus, (and no I still don'’t like him even if he saved a child from the water), you have to play for the TEAM concept.

So from big contract to holding out? I find that rediculous. Owens told the Miami Herald,

"At the end of the day, I don't have to worry about what people think of me, whether they hate me or not. People hated on Jesus. They threw stones at him and tried to kill him, so how can I complain or worry about what people think?"

Even this Jewish boy is offended. Terrell you can not compare yourself to Jesus. Did you fight for a cause? Well if your cause is getting paid more money, than I suppose so.

On the Jim Rome show today I heard a quote from Owens along the lines of, I need to provide for my family, a la Latrell Sprewell. He's making $49 million. I doubt he's having trouble.

Kudos to any GM/owner with the sense to shut up these hold outs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danny's post was likely copied and pasted into the Blogger interface from the screen - those boxes are your browser's inability to convert the screen apostrophes into something readable.

Regarding Danny's guest posting - just another sad example of a decent column idea marred by pathetic spelling and grammar. What the hell is the "NBC" championship? Does this stuff make sense to anyone else when they read through it? Is writing a lost art among the younger generation?

Sigh. It just makes me want to quit critiquing - no one is trying to improve. And I'm even being NICE about it.

Mad Mike said...

Jojo? What the hell are you thinking? That was a really well written article. I'd like to see you write a better one. Your site is rarely updated, so dont talk.

Terrel Owens is an idiot. He gets paid millions of dollars then complains about everybody "hating" on him. Then to put the icing on the cake, he compares himself to Jesus... wow, Terrel, Jesus didnt get paid millions of dollars and he never complained. Terrel your just spoiled.

Anonymous said...

Tamaz - your opinion that this was "a really well written article" surprises me not one iota. Your own grasp of the English language (as evidenced in the very comment I'm addressing) is such that you'd unsurprisingly overlook young Danny's errors.

But facts remain, and I haven't the time or energy to point them all out. Again, the concept was fine; it's the execution that should be executed - perhaps a beheading is in order, as that's how it seems Danny likes to treat his sentences. Short, choppy lines have a place in prose, but not every single sentence. Try expanding on an idea. Try using a comma or (and I know this is a radical concept) semi-colon to pull thoughts together rather than ending everything with a period. Think of periods like stop signs, commas like blinking yellow lights, and semi-colons like yields - and if you understand not a whit of what I'm saying, than I can't really help you.

And Tamaz - I've chosen to belittle you locally, rather than from afar. My site is not for updating or entertaining the masses - the frequency of postings is completely irrelevant to my mission.

I'll leave you with one final reiteration of a point - I thought the article substance was fine. Owens is a jackass who no longer understands that his ability to catch a football doesn't make him above the rest of us. But that doesn't mean I can't critique. It's what I do.

Mad Mike said...

Jojo, thanks for the criticism. You get annoying somethimes, but actually, even though I get ripped alot, I find it funny. What I'm saying is that long critique you just posted could go on your site right? your comments here are longer then your articles on your blog. Maybe you could post these type of critique's on your site? Just a suggestion. Keep reading.