Sunday, January 01, 2006

College Football Withdrawal

Nothing against the NFL, but I'm really disappointed there won't be college football tomorrow.

It's just not right, dammit.

I love the NFL, but I'm sick of it getting in the way all of the time. Nobody will put any other kind of sporting event on Monday nights when Monday Night Football is on, even though they keep screwing up the matchups and giving us garbage games like Green Bay-Baltimore.

Now this...you just don't mess with January 1st. Or as WDFN's Sean Baligian put it, "Man's Day."

I love college because of the passion and intensity, the NFL just seems stale sometimes to me. Plus there are so many bad teams nowadays and so many bad matchups.

The one game I really looked forward to was San Diego-Indy this year, and yet I wound up getting TENNESSEE/SEATTLE instead.

On January 1st, you can sit there in your groggy post-New Year's haze and switch channels relentlessly, taking in games featuring teams you don't usually get to see. And then you cap it all off with the Grandaddy of 'em all, aka the Rose Bowl, aka the Michigan Loss Bowl, and all of the pagaentry and the beautiful setting and whatnot.

But nooo...we have to wait three more days for it now!!

The common denominator in all of this is $$$...more $$$ from their precious BCS, and more money for the greedy NFL so we can all go out and buy satellite TV's and Sunday Ticket...

Otherwise, looks like it's Bears-Vikings for me tomorrow...Oh, and the Lions...

Maybe I'll just sleep in extra, extra late...the Steelers are going to utterly eradicate us tomorrow.

Happy New Year, here's to some new assistant coaches at Michigan!

Cheers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Of all the days BCS games were on, this is the one when I actually watch. I don't have time to watch all that during the week. Why not keep the bowl games on New Year's Day? Challenge the NFL. The season is almost over, and people whose teams have been eliminated probably would still watch their college teams battle it out. I guess I'm just going to have to watch the Lions in a half hour...

ItOffishul said...

Wow people actually read the blog wow nice work fellas

As for the Lions, good effort out here so far but we are sooo thin at linebacker...

I can't believe Boss Bailey is hurt again, wow what a shocker...

Oh and Fernando Bryant too.

Millen needs to draft/sign some people who have actual meat on their bones and don't have terrible injury histories...