Thursday, June 09, 2005

Polanco to the Tigers

The Tigers have been shopping around Urbina for a year plus, but finally they pulled the trigger. Dombrowski decided to aqquire 2nd baseman Placido Polanco from the Philles, for Urbina as I mentioned earlier and infeilder Ramon Martinez was thrown in. What does this deal mean? It means the managemnt doesnt want Omar Infante being the everyday guy just yet. This move also means that Dombrowski and Illitch believe the Tigers have a chance to contend this year so they are entering the buyers market, unlike last years seller market. I like this deal a lot, Polanco is having a great season with 3 homeruns, and a 3.13 batting average which is good for a 2nd basemen.

As for Urbina, the signing of Percival indicated that the Tigers didnt want him. For him to stay would have been an overload for the bullpen. I'm pretty sure they were going to trade him earlier, but then Percival got hurt they kept him untl they were sure of Percival's health. Overall this deal may put us over the top.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your source is actually the AP - did you get permission to reprint their hard work? Or are you just trying to get some filler up here?

I'll tell you the same thing I told Dan - your visitors don't come to get a rehash of what they can read on major sites. Your "value" is your opinion and insight. If you're not going to offer any, you're not going to get repeat visitors.

Schmitty said...

Yeah guys, I can get the news anywhere, I want to hear opinions and sound off my own.

As far as the deal goes, at first I was upset I thought we could get more out of Uggie. After examining the trade though, it is clear that the Tigers think their time is now. Why else would you make a deal just to solidify the infield for a year?

The other item I over looked was just how deep the bullpen is. Farnesworth, German, Percival and soon to be Rodney. That should be good enough to keep us close in Sept. Providing the offense holds up.

Perhaps what this deal realy was about was Just how pissed they are at Infante and how shaky Guillen is.

Mad Mike said...

I looked at your guys's comments and I decided to change the article to my opinion. I agree with Jojo and schmitty so I changed it.

I like this deal a lot, I think it balances the team out. We obviously had an overload at the bullpen spot. schmitty hit it right on the spot.

Anonymous said...

As that dork over at TigerBlog mentioned, though, it could also be the Tigers are looking to deal Polanco again at the deadline, and simply used Urbina to get him (assuming more teams were interested in Polanco than Urbina). But Brian's basically a jackass, so that's probably not true.

Anonymous said...

Brian is a great guy.

Mad Mike said...

Infante was very dissapointing batting wise this year. Spartan, do you really think we could win with him?

Mad Mike said...

By the way, you guys were saying that the light blue earlier on the site was bad and hurts your eyes. I changed it, do you like this color better?

Anonymous said...

all the trade does is give detroit a better chance of finishing 3rd in the central. Baseball should make the playoffs 8 teams in both the Al and NL, so the playoffs would be more exiting and it would be ggod for the game.